I. Choose the best answer.
1. ______ came that our team had won the championship.
A. Word B. Words C. The words D. A word
2. As a rule, domestic servants doing odd jobs are paid ______.
A. by the hour B. by hour C. by an hour D. by hours
3. Meeting my uncle after all these years was an unforgettable moment, _____ I will always treasure.
A. that B. one C. it D. what
4. Dr Smith lives ____ 51 ____.
A. at, the
C. on, the
5. Violent programs on television may have a bad ____ on children.
A. affection B. pressure C. effect D. control
6. We all know that _________ the eggs will be sent to the next neighborhood.
A. three dozen B. three dozen of C. dozens of D. three dozens of
7. His English is ______.
A. as good as, if not better than, his sister’s B. as good as, if not better than, his sister
C. good as his sister’s if not better D. as good, if not as better than his sister’s
8. Without your timely advice and help, we ______ so much.
A. will never achieve B. could hardly achieve
C. can’t have achieved D. wouldn’t have achieved
9. We were about to give you a phone call ______ your letter came.
A. until B. when C. after D. as
10. Every possible means ______ to prevent the air pollution, but the sky is still not clear.
A. is used B. are used C. has been used D. have been used
11. She ______ by credit card but she preferred to use cash.
A. might pay B. could have paid C. could pay D. must have paid
12. He sent me an e-mail, ______ to get further information.
A. hoped B. hoping C. to hope D. hope
13. We wish today ______ sunny so that we could spend the day in the country.
A. were B. was C. would be D. should be
14. You can easily get books ______ Shakespeare at any big bookstores.
A. on B. with C. for D. to
15. When ______, the museum will be open to the public next year.
A. completed B. completing C. being completed D. to be completed
16. They must have seen the film yesterday, ______?
A. did they B. mustn’t they C. didn’t they D. haven’t they
17. ______ blood if you can and many lives will be saved.
A. Giving B. Give C. Given D. To give
18. It ______ long before we ______ the result of the experiment.
A. won’t be, will know B. is, will know C. won’t be, know D. is, know
19. The boy and the girl each ______ toys.
A. have their own B. has their own C. have her own D. has her own
20. Recently I bought an ancient Chinese vase, ______ was very reasonable.
A. which price B. the price of which C. its price D. the price of whose
21. Only __________ operation on patients.
A. can the surgeon do B. the surgeon can do
C. can do the surgeon D. can the surgeon does
22. He traveled with his family, ______ all like sightseeing very much.
A. which B. that C. who D. of whom
23. Everyone could see _____ was happening and _____ George was already ready.
A. what, / B. what, that C. that, that D. that, /
24. –You should have thanked her before you left.
--I meant ______, but when I was leaving I couldn’t find her anywhere.
A. to do B. to C. doing D. doing so
25. — Is it ______ that the spaceship will be launched within this week?
— No, I don’t think so.
A. probably B. perhaps C. possibly D. likely
II. Fill in the blanks with the words in their proper forms.
courage, solve, destroy, assassination, correct, approve, surprise, convenience
1. Nobody expected the ________ force of the storm.
2. Life is _______ in the suburbs than in the city centre.
3. The audience showed its ___________ by cheering loudly.
4. He doesn’t know where Abraham Lincoln was _______.
5. He always feels ________ by what his teacher said to him.
6. Erickson found a few _____________ mistakes in his composition.
7. Economy might be the ___________ to our financial troubles.
8. We were delighted at the __________ wonderful news.
III. Fill in the blanks with the verbs in their proper forms.
1. I don’t think the party well worth __________. (attend)
2. You __________ for what you have done sooner or later. (punish)
3. It was so hot that they had the air-conditioner __________ all day long. (operate)
4. Would you please __________ the door? (not open)
5. The scenery was much more beautiful than we ____________.(expect)
6. At the foot of the mountain __________ two small temples. (lie)
7. The scientist __________ the experiment for half a year, but he hasn’t succeeded yet. (make)
8. The suggestion has been made that the basketball game __________ off. (put)
9. The telescope __________ (build) last year cost him a lot of money.
10. He is talking so much about
IV. Rewrite the sentences as required.
1. I am sorry that I have given you so much trouble. （改为简单句）
I am sorry ______ ______ given you so much trouble.
2. You can’t take away these magazines which belong to our school library. （保持句子原意）
You can’t take away these magazines ________ ________ our school library.
3. I don’t think he need come to the meeting tonight. （反意疑问句）
I don’t think he need come to the meeting tonight, ______ ______?
4. They insisted that more trees be planted in the school garden.（改为简单句）
They insisted __________ more trees __________ planted in the school garden.
5. Although he is a hero, he remains modest. （改为倒装句）
________ ________ he is, he remains modest.